Subject: Re: How will I build port-dnard from port-cats (etc) ?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/07/2001 03:53:14
>The hardest problem will be keeping each/all the ports conf.c in sync.  Each
>system will be to build the kernels of any arm32 platform.  (just as in
>-current any mips system can build kernels for any other mips system regardless
>of endianness.

If the location of conf.c requires duplication for each port, then perhaps it
is time to change the location of conf.c so duplication is no longer required.

But clearly we cannot force everyone to change overnight. Would it make sense
to have an interim variable "MACHINE_FAMILY" or something like that which at
some point would merge with MACHINE_ARCH ?

Each port has its own $MACHINE.
All ports that can run each other's userland binaries share the $MACHINE_ARCH.
All ports that can build each other's snapshots share the same $MACHINE_FAMILY.

(I'm not missing anything fundamental here, am I?)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com