Subject: Re: 'make build' takes very looong..
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 03/04/2001 21:01:13
On Sunday 04 March 2001  9:38 am, Mike Pumford wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after receiving a second hand SA-110 (233 MHz) yesterday, I started a
> > kernel compile and afterwards a make build.
> >
> > I must confess that I was quite astonished how long this took and
> > still takes.
> > The kernel takes about 1 hour to compile, while the 'make build'
>
> A time of 1hour is pretty normal for a kernel on an SA.

I think I get a bit under that these days (that starts to push the processes
into kinetic memory :)

> > is still in /usr/src/lib/ after more than 10 hours of compiling.
> >
> > Did I miss something or that really normal ?
>
> Sounds quite slow. On my SA RiscPC make build takes just under 24 hours. On
> a positive note this build time has remained almost the same despite the
> fact that the NetBSD source tree continues to grow so performance is
> improving.

Yep I think it takes about 24 hours (perhaps longer as I use NFS for the
drives)  It should be slightly faster if you use a current kernel as there's
been some tweaks to the pmap stuff so that process exiting is faster (helps
lots in make depend cos we use recursion in the build system (which is just
plain daft, but that's another discussion))

Have you tried using softdep on both / and /usr ?  Might help a bit,
especially on the internal IDE interface, I believe that's slower than the
IDE expansion cards (or you hope so or people wouldn't buy them...)

Cheers,
Chris