Subject: Re: Strange C compiler code generation
To: Peter Teichmann <teich-p@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/24/2001 23:38:35
Hi Peter,

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Peter Teichmann wrote:
> Many 32-Bit-Loads were not done using a LDR instruction, but using 4 single
> LDRB instructions and 3 ORR instructions. Is that intended and if yes, why?
> Probably many NetBSD applications will be quite slow because of this!
>
> I could imagine one reason: 32 bit quantities are not necessarily 32 bit aligned
> in structures, but if that is really true, well, I better do not continue this
> thought!

That depends on the structures ... how are they build up? padded ? using
16 bits shorts? or just completely ignorant of position?

Wonder why the ARM-Linux variant is faster though ... how new is your
installation ? There are major changes going on in NetBSD/arm32 wich most
of all make stuff a lot faster :)) ... and there is a newer toolset
AFAIK...

Cheers,
Reinoud