Subject: Re: ARM ELF toolchain patches
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/2001 16:13:11
rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk (Richard Earnshaw) writes:
> This
> isn't a major problem if momentary stack unalignemnt is OK, but issues
> such as asynchronous events have to be considered (for example, if a
> signal were received when the stack was not 8-byte aligned, would the
> signal handler function correctly -- in particular, would it run on its
> own stack, or on the stack of the current process?).

That particular one is easy: if 8-byte alignment on function entry is
mandated, the kernel could be sure to align the SP to 8 bytes before
invoking the user signal handler...

(It seems that if ATPCS requires 8 byte alignment on entry & exit, if
we want to support that -- i dunno anything about it -- then we've
gotta make sure the stack is properly aligned on signal handler entry
as well...)

cgd