Subject: ARM ELF toolchain patches
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org, port-arm26@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/21/2001 19:10:29
I suspect I'm going to be distracted from working on the sparkly new ARM
ELF toolchain for a bit, so I thought I'd better make what I've got so far
available for people to mess with.  It should probably be committed at
some point, but that will need some co-ordination with Todd Vierling,
who's working on the new toolchain in general.

Anyway, the patches to add arm-unknown-netbsdelf support to
gnu/dist/toolchain are at:
<URL:ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arm/elf/arm-elf-toolchain-20010221.diff>

The patches don't include patches to generated files -- you'll at least
have to run autoconf in the gcc and gas directories.  The chances are that
configuring and building the entire tree from the top won't work.  You'll
need to make bfd, as, binutils, ld and gcc (and probably some
libraries) separately and in roughly that order.  I managed it, so it
can't be hard.  Oh, and you'll need a cpp script that uses cc -E; I think
there's one in a sparc64 toolchain fix somewhere.  Look on tech-toolchain
recently.

Issues that still need resolving (hardest first):
 * Dynamic linking doesn't work.
 * Gdb isn't ported.
 * Extracting return addresses from stack frames is done wrong in 26-bit
   modes.
 * VFP-format doubles are compulsory, so -mhard-float won't work.

If people want to make any more changes to the ABI (8-byte alignment of
int64_t?), now's the time to mention it.