Subject: Re: Xarm32VIDC Problem?
To: Dave Daniels <dave_daniels@argonet.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/20/2001 22:08:20
Hi Dave,

I've just noticed a few things :

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Dave Daniels wrote:
> I have increased the DRAM to one megabyte (the maximum) and it
> made no difference. The screen resolution I used was 800 by 600 by
> 256 colours.

The current console code can't really deal with 800x600 ... you should
choose a different resolution ... but allways 256 colours ... the console
cant handle less colours too AFAIK ... 32K or 16M is OK.

> I am running the 1.5 distribution kernel with a hacked version of
> the old bootloader. (I had to hard wire in the physical address at
> which the kernel is first loaded as the loader was overwriting the
> RMA in RISC OS causing the machine to lock up.)

Ouch... well try the new bootloader :)) that shouldnt give problems....

> I noticed that there was no XF86Config file on my RiscPC and X
> works on that, but I thought it would not do any harm to have one.
> The failure occurs with or without the file being present in /etc.

Hmmm.... only for other kind of machines really :) Mine starts perfectly
without one!

> I issued the call __db_show_panic_cmd() command and the response
> was:
>
> Panic string: (null)
>       0xa

Ouch... a (null) panic string... this is wierd...

Cheers,
Reinoud