Subject: Re: port-master role (was: Re: Relevance of ARM merge (was: ...))
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/20/2001 02:10:46
Hi Chris, Ben and Stephen,

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2001 10:22 am, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Ben Harris wrote:
> > > Personally, I think we should give developer accounts to anyone around
> > > here with something worthwhile to contribute, wait a month or two and see
> > > if an obvious new leader emerges.  If I'm lucky, it won't be me.
> >
> > Seconded.
>
> Agreed, however might be hard to find anyone with enough time to take
> it on, I find time hard enough to find for the bits I do, and a
> port-master does a lot.

agreed... well i do have spare time .... not by choice really :(( but its
a good way to spend time and do something usefull !! without overloading
myself too much ....

Dunno if my knowledge of NetBSD is enough to be a portmaster but i would
be willing to be a co-port master myself... or be the one :-| allthough I
might need help !!! I'm working myself in the workings of NetBSD and the
arm32 port isnt allways a good point to start :( ... it needs some
cleaning up.... oh well... also very interesting!

> My current list is (note that I don't really know for sure): deal with
> PR's (which we have some that are over 2 years old, and may not be of
> interest/applicable anymore)

Have you noticed the hanging RiscPC :)) hehe...

> general maintenance work
> Likely to be overseeing the splitting of the port up, unless that happens
> before then.

Big projects indeed... about that: first split up and then merge common
stuff ? or split off everything that has to do with one ? (sounds logical
too)

> merging of new ports in (eg sa11x0 and hpcarm, unless those people get
> developer accounts)

Well do they want to have developer accounts ?

> sorting out developer accounts for people
> does the official releases on ftp site.
> keeps the port up to date with the rest of happenings in the tree.

Sometimes the hardest thing yes.... like the stuff in pmap or the import
of a new compiler....

> drives the port to new things (eg upcoming hardware etc)

Nice nice

> organise stands at shows

Ouch ... well being there is a bit difficult.... who's gonna pay my ticket
:) but in the Netherlands I can do it :)

> keeps docs up to date

been working on that.... but there still needs lots to be done...

Cheers,
Reinoud