Subject: Re: HEADS UP : New bootloader for RISC OS based machines commited
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/18/2001 12:52:36
On Sunday 18 February 2001  1:26 am, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> The new bootloader features a new clean startup mechanism that isnt RISC
> OS version specific anymore as well as a much cleaner and more
> maintainable. It also features a clean and rock steady loader mechanism
> that puts the kernel in the correct place before calling it. This means
> the end of the relocation of a running kernel as the old bootloader
> demanded.

That reminds me, any reason you did it in BASIC?  Looking over the existing
bootloader it's all in standalone C, only the gui config stuff needs desklib.
The reason I ask is that I've looked over the BASIC program and can't follow
half of it as I'm very rusty at BASIC these days.

You've also not submitted the new bootloader into the tree.

> The newest version of the bootloader is allways available at :
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/bootloader.arc

shouldn't that be:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/riscos/

> Next to the MemFix module needed for Castle Kinetic card machines.

To do what with it?  We need it, without it we don't work.  (Castle even
updated their FAQ to include the solution for how to get netbsd working!)

> P.S. sorry for the reddish colour as yet :( .. switching VT's will solve
> it but will propably be solved when wscons is included.

Who's fault is the red colour, the bootloader?  or the kernel making an
assumption that the bootloader has done something with the palette?

Cheers,
Chris