Subject: Re: New bootconfig structure proposal
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 14:51:36
imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl (Reinoud Zandijk) writes:
> This means ofcource that compatibility with the old bootloader is broken
> .... I'm thinking of a complilation option to allow kernels still to be
> made for the old bootloader by selecting a different bootconfig.h and
> patching up the old rpc_machdep.c if desired....

perhaps this is a naive question, but why would the kernel detect one
version or the other, convert old to new if necessary, _by default_.

You should be able to compile that code out, but by default new
kernels should interoperate with old boot loaders unless things are
irreparably broken in the way the old boot loaders pass in data...

cgd