Subject: Re: Cleaning up arm32 port
To: Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/16/2001 19:56:49
On Friday 16 February 2001  5:29 pm, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> since there are lots of complaints about the structure of the arm32 port
> i'm willing to take the job on me (together and with help from Ben I hope
> ! ) to do something about it .... my plan would be :

I'm willing to help in what time I've got (which as I'm about to move is
currently very little)

> 3) merge podulebus code so arm32 and arm26 can use the same podulebus code
>    -> if posible, move shared code to ../sys/dev/podulebus

Should that be dev or arm/dev?   I'd be surprised if any other platform used
them.

> 4) big one? : implementing wscons for RiscPC/rc7500
>    -> cleans vidc directory and attachments too

This has been talked about for a while.  I'd rather see other stuff tidied up
first.

> 5) try to use as much as ../sys/dev/ic code as posible for devices

We do for some devices, it'll probably get easier once we've more of the
standard interfaces.

> 6) ...
>
> Any other idea's ?

Pmap rewrite.  Yes we've boosted it's performance, but I'm sure we can get
more out of it, and it could do with updates to include the scheduler locking
stuff that Jason PR'd.  Perhaps add in preliminary support to the pmap to
allow SMP to happen (although I expect that SMP will be a hard nut to crack
on the arm).

Cheers,
Chris