Subject: Re: Bootloader TODO list
To: Andy Wingate <xyzzy@ox.compsoc.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/06/2001 23:47:18
On Tuesday 06 February 2001  8:14 pm, Andy Wingate wrote:
> In message <Pine.NEB.4.21.0102032152470.14242-100000@rangerover.kasbah>
>
>           Reinoud Zandijk <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Anthony Hilton wrote:
> > > Can the new bootloader boot old versions of RiscBSD? I have 1.3 alpha
> > > installed but rarely booted on an ARM6 RiscPC with 1Mb VRAM.
> >
> > Well I am sorry to say the new bootloader can't boot old compiled
> > kernels, but i cant see why it wouldn't boot a 1.3 alpha kernel with the
> > new rpc_machdep.c ;-)
>
> Is there a compiled up kernel around that has the changes required to
> allow your bootloader to boot my Risc PC into NetBSD 1.5-ish. I've
> been busy for the last few months and have only caught up on this
> mailing-list so I've probably missed something.

> Not related, but I installed the 1.5alpha2 stuff from one of Chris's
> CDs some time afer the RISC OS 2000 show, but for some reason now the
> kernel on the UFS partition seems to have gone odd.

Very odd (Note that I presume by UFS you mean the unixFS stuff to show an ffs
partition in RISC-OS (in case any thinks ufs as in union fs :))

> I get down to the usual 1.5_ALPHA2 (GENERIC) #2 : Wed Oct 18... stuff
> then the total, avail memory and:
> using 307 buffers containing 5016KB of memory
> panic: No map for fault address
>
> Stopped in at _cpu_Debugger+0x10:  ldmdb r11, {r11,r13,r15}
> db>  console_kbd=0

Very strange.  Have you tried recompiling a kernel?  I believe that I
included the src on the cd, you might want to try doing a cvs update in the
sys dir, so you actually pickup the 1.5 release kernel, although it'd
probably be the 1.5.1 alpha one, but I believe that it is mostly bug fixing.
(provided you've got the time and bandwidth.)

> -at which point I can do nothing but press reset. Is anything obvious
> likely to cause this? If I use the same kernel when loaded from a
> filecore partition it works fine.

Unixfs used to cause some file corruption, but that's way way back, and it
was fixed at the time.  All I can think of is that something has corrupted
the kernel in someway.

> From what I have seen of the new bootloader it seems quite nice in
> explaining what it is doing, even if it does look slightly peculiar
> when run on higher than 1024x768 screen resolutions.

Yep, it looks more techy, and it is more informative than the coloured bars
that you currently get.

Cheers,
Chris