Subject: Re: ELF stuff
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/02/2001 11:11:35
On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> What work actually needs to be done then on the toolchain front?  At a guess
> it's mostly gcc, with some ld and ld.so_elf work.  Does it effect gas in
> anyway?

Here's what I think needs doing:

* (gcc) Support for mode-independent code (checking mode when we need to
  generate PC from R15).
* (gcc) Combined config/arm/netbsd-elf.h (mostly a copy of netbsd26.h)
* (gas) Support for ARM ELF PIC relocations (didn't work last time I
  checked)
* (ld.elf_so) Support for ARM ELF
* (ld) More sensible ARM ELF linker script (e.g. with separate text and
  data segments)

> A while back you mentioned updating the ABI to something newer, which can do
> thumb, arm26 and arm32 (or is that a bit like the holy grail of arm
> processors :), do you have on docs on this or pointers to docs?  Would the
> ARM linux abi work?

ARM Linux has different compiler configurations for ARMv2 and ARMv3, so
it's probably not the best of things to imitate.  I don't claim to
understand Thumb interworking.