Subject: Re: Shark Newbie
To: Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
From: Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/13/2000 20:29:08
On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 08:17:44PM +0100, Thomas Runge wrote:
> Hmm, I can do a "dir d:" and the Shark accesses the zip drive, but with
> no result. I *guess* it has to do with the way zip disks are handled.
> It is not like a floppy disk, but more like a hard disk and allows
> multiple partitions.
> The zip disk I own has two partitions, "a" and "h". "h" is the big one
> filling almost all 100MB, while "a" seems to be empty. I guess, the
> Shark tries to read the first partition ("a") and can't find anything
> and gives up.

My experience with zip disks on a 250M drive on arm linux is that
linux treats them as a scsi disk with a partition table with 4
partitions. Iomega's pre-formatted DOS disks have partition 4 filling
all the disk space, formated to dos. No-one knows why they choose 4,
but I re-partition and format my extfs on partition 1, which means I can
mount with the different fs options by using the difference special device
names.

I'm not sure how all that translates into BSD terms, but I hope it is
of some use.

Nicholas Clark