Subject: Re: Shark Newbie
To: Thomas Runge <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
From: Mark Hayter <mdh@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/04/2000 18:28:35
Thomas Runge wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Mark Hayter wrote:
>
> > The shark should be able to boot from a file on a DOS format ZIP too (at
> > least it used to, I have not tried for a while :-)
>
> Really? I never got that managed. At least I needed a dhcp and tftp server
> to get the boot kernel to the shark, after that it booted from zip
> quite fine.
>
> Can you please provide some more information, how to boot a standalone
> shark from an internal ZIP drive?
>
> --
> Tom

I tried this last night.

I pulled the shark install kernel from the arm32 1.5 area of ftp.netbsd.org
using my PC, renamed it to be a happy 8.3 filename (nbinst.gzp or something)
and put it on a new MSDOS formatted 100MB ZIP drive (which actually had some
othe IOMEGA mumble.exe file on it too).

My shark (Feb 25th firmware, hard disk as IDE drive 0, ZIP as IDE drive 1)
showed the file when I did 'dir d:' at the OFW prompt. 'boot d:nbinst.gzp'
after a long long time loaded the image, booted the kernel and gave me the
netbsd install menu.

Of course the install kernel is built to root from a ramdisk, it would
probably have trouble trying to root/swap to MSDOS filesystem! But this
should be enough to get people going. Im not sure if MSDOS FS is in the
install image, but I assume if it is you could copy the sets to the ZIP and
install them from there too. But a network connection should work just as
well for that!

Mark