Subject: Re: Bootloader 'Todo' List
To: None <imago@kabel065011.kabel.utwente.nl,port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/14/2000 16:48:52
In article <Pine.NEB.4.21.0011141620070.29164-100000@rangerover.kasbah> you write:
>I totally agree ... I am currently working out a new sceme of booting
>NetBSD on the RiscPC with just that feature ...  if my scheme works i'll
>try to work it in the arm26 bootloader...
>
>My initial strategy is swapping pages in a running RiscOS but for some
>reason that isnt working yet... but i have good hopes of it succeeding...
>
>My second strategy is killing RiscOS after loading the kernel in a piece
>of memory like the old bootloader but then move the kernel around putting
>it on its good place in a flat memory space in physical memory (i.e. MMU
>off) and then calling the kernel.

FWIW, a third possibility is the way I did things in BBBB.  BBBB reads the
memory map, then tangles the kernel as it loads it so that it all magically
ends up in the right place when read through the physical memory interface
(or through a flat mapping).  This turns out to be quite a lot easier than
your second strategy, but of course it falls over when one of the physical
pages you need turns out to already be in use.