Subject: Re: Shark netboot question
To: None <alexrd@earthlink.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/06/2000 18:25:40
Alex Dumitriu <alexrd@earthlink.net> writes:
> >I.e., it'll need the kernel driver to be updated, in order to
> >function.  (It doesn't seem to have any DMA-related properties -- I
> >dunno if that's because DMA isn't hooked up, or because the node's
> >properties are incomplete.  I'd believe either.)
> >
> >Unfortunately, I don't have the cycles to even attempt that at this
> >point.
>
> Where can I start to look at this? I've been looking for a project to =
> take on that will thrust me headlong into NetBSD internals this seems as =
> good (read: hairy) as any. Obviously the existing code is a good place =
> to start. Any other drivers I might want to take a look at for =
> comparison? What about books or online resources to help me on my way?

so, you want to look at the CS8900 data sheet, available off of:

http://www.cirrus.com/design/products/overview/index.cfm?ProductID=46

then, you want to modify the existing code so that it works with both
memory and I/O modes of access.

Unfortunately, to do this, you'll need the ability to actually compile
a kernel.  Easiest way is on an already-working NetBSD/arm32 system.
Maybe somebody can give you access to one.

> Yeah, I'm still wrestling with this one. Part of me says "well, it's not =
> working anyway, and c'mon now, it's probably just a different =
> manufacturer for the flash ROM, it'll work fine" (see previous posts =
> about a probable fujitsu part). But of course, those sound like viable =
> last words....

I suspect it's more different than that -- the firmware programs the
chip differently and sets up the properties differently than on a
Shark, which really does probably indicate some hardware difference.

If you can make a copy of your existing flash (i.e., it's not soldered
to the motherboard, etc.), then it might be worthwhile to try to get
OFW to flash your ROM anyway.  If the hardware is different, you run
the risk of producing a completely non-functional system.  If you
can't recover the flash easily, then you run the risk of "permanently"
breaking your machine.

What does your firmware say if you "cd /" then ".properties" (or
similar -- get the properties for the root node)?

chris