Subject: Re: Shark netboot question
To: None <alexrd@earthlink.net>
From: Mark Hayter <mdh@sibyte.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/06/2000 07:18:07
It seems the OFW checks the Flash type before using it. (Amazing -- in the
PC world it would have just blasted away regardless). The warning is comming
from your existing firmware (it is not a problem with the images you
downloaded), it is uncertain if it can correctly program the flash part
theat is in your shark. We used AMD parts in the DEC machines, but Funai
probably used someone else...

A quick search with google suggests that 0x04 is the manufacturer code for
fujitsu (so if you open the box you will probably find a PLCC flash chip
from Fujitsu with a number somthing like MBM(?) 29F040 on it).

For in-system programming this should have the same interface as the AMD
part (although I have never tried it and datasheet examination would be
needed to be sure). In which case the firmware can probably be patched to
look for 04 instead of 01. (I don't have a shark handy to look)

Mark