Subject: Re: vm/vm.h
To: None <Jan-Uwe.Finck@bigfoot.de>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/16/2000 00:22:34
Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:

> And BTW, is there someone working actively on the port itself ?
> No offense, I'm just curious as some of the bugs in the GNATS are
> quite old, I'm afraif my abilities are too low to really help. :-(

There's a certain amount of activity, but not a huge amount, I've no
idea what's happening on the arm32 front these days, I believe that Mark
is still the port master.  I plan to start playing with things once I
get my PSU repaired/replaced, it died last week *sigh*, first time I use
my RPC for anything in over a year and it dies part way through supping
the source code.

One interesting thing I saw was mention of getting elf support working
on arm32, I'm not sure how much work it would be, but I believe it does
have some advantages?

I know that Arm Linux is now being supported by Aleph One.  I suspect
that the port maybe suffering the effects of the downturn in the acorn
market, and that linux is the current buzzword, and as netbsd doesn't
really push itself (I like it, even now 2 years after last using it I
like the idea that all thr source code is stored in one place, none of
this I want to update this, and running off to freshmeat to find the
latest package, you just get sup working :)

Anyway I'm certainly still interested, and likely to start doing patches
once my system is back up and running.

Another thought that crossed my mind would be how easily integrateable
are the arm26 and arm32 trees, I'm sure most of the standard library
code can be shared?  Probably not the core kernel stuff though.

Cheers,
Chris