Subject: Promoting NetBSD (was: Re: vm/vm.h)
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Daniels <Davedan@arcade.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 07/16/2000 10:11:41
  > I know that Arm Linux is now being supported by Aleph One.
  > I suspect that the port maybe suffering the effects of the
  > downturn in the acorn market, and that linux is the current
  > buzzword, and as netbsd doesn't really push itself (I like
  > it, even now 2 years after last using it I like the idea
  > that all thr source code is stored in one place, none of
  > this I want to update this, and running off to freshmeat to
  > find the latest package, you just get sup working :)
Like you, I feel that NetBSD is loosing out to Linux, certainly on
the Acorn platform. If the level of traffic on this mailing list is
anything to go by then I do not think that many people use it now.
I posted a message last week on comp.sys.acorn.misc saying that
NetBSD works well on the Kinetic card. I included a paragraph to
say what NetBSD is in the hope that it might generate some
interest. I thought somebody might at least make a comment about
the Kinetic Card but there was not one reply. It is not very
encouraging.

I agree that NetBSD does not push itself. As far as I know there
are no newsgroups for it. Everything seems to be done on mailing
lists. I feel that there would be a chance that people would at
least stumble across it by accident if such a newsgroup existed.
It might result in a few people giving NetBSD a try. I suppose
another alternative would be to start trolling Linux newgroups. :-)
Has the idea of setting up a newsgroup ever been investigated?

Us users of Acorn computers are feeling very lonely at present.
I hope that NetBSD does not go the same way that RISC OS seems
to be heading.

Dave
--
    ___  ___  ___  ___  ___  ___   |  Free Internet E-mail and Usenet News  |
|  /   \/   \/   \/   \/   \/   \  | +44 20 8654 2212 +44 20 8655 4412/1811 |