Subject: Re: Current RiscPC-Kernel not booting
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 04/20/2000 21:28:09
On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 07:38:22PM +0200, Jan-Uwe Finck wrote:
> I upgraded my source via anoncvs yesterday and built a new kernel
> today. No problem so far, everything seemed alright.
>
> Except for the moment when I shut my RiscPC down, and tried to reboot
> into NetBSD.
> The screens flashed into white as alway but suddenly stops, telling
> me:
>
> Error: Kernel entry point out of range
It's a problem with the compiler in libc wich borks interpretation of
hexadecimal strings wich causes the linker to use some bogus
adress for the start of the text segment.
(See the "trouble compiling arm32 kernels" or the "bootloader" threads
on this list a few days to weeks ago or PR lib/9631 for more details).

See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm32/2000/04/17/0003.html
or  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm32/2000/04/17/0004.html
for workarounds.

Then recompile and reinstall libc and recompile your kernel.

(I really hope you haven't thrown your old kernel away :-)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.