Subject: Re: Porting netbsd/arm32
To: mike kelly <mike@cogcomp.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/27/2000 11:11:25
On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, mike kelly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am interested in porting the arm32 version of netbsd to my companies
> development platform.  We have a modular system with a common
> motherboard into which one of several CPU modules can be plugged.
> Right now we support ARM, MIPS and PowerPC.  We will be adding SH in
> the near future.  I am very keen on the idea of having a free OS
> available both for use by my customers and as example code on how to
> use our hardware.

Sounds good! NetBSD would be an excelent choice as we support all of the
CPU's you mentioned above. :-)

> So, how do I get started?  Is there someone who would be willing to
> guide me through the process?  Please contact me as soon as possible.
> Please note however, that I will be at the Embedded Systems Conference
> in Chicago next week and will return to the office on March 6.

I'm not the best person for it, but I can help some. I don't know much
about the arm, other than I own one. :-)

The big things to do will be to figure out how to get into the kernel (how
your firmware turns control over to the kernel), and to get support for
the hardware on your board.

What kind of hardware and firmware do the boards have?

tech-ports is probably the best list for this subject.

The cool thing is that with the bus space driver framework, you'll be able
to use the same driver for all four cpu variants you listed. :-)

Take care,

Bill