Subject: scsipi_dtype: impossible device type
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Justin Stringfellow <justin.stringfellow@btinternet.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 01/29/2000 11:16:47
Last week I decided to upgrade my firmware on my RapIDE... big mistake, my
netbsd disk got trashed, and try as I might, I can't recover either the
netbsd portion or the RiscOS side which had the bootloader etc. on it.
So a rebuild it is.... fortunately I take backups :-)
I've downloaded the install kernel from the ftp site but I can't find a copy
of !btriscbsd or bb_riscbsd, nor unixfs anywhere.... Can anyone point me in
the right direction? I need the bb_riscbsd that can deal with ATAFS.

Secondly, I tried booting from the install kernel anyway, and I am still
getting a problem I had with my old 1.4 install where the kernel panics on
boot. I get the usual coloured bars, copyright, memory messages, cpu0, pioc0
then:

wdc0 at pioc0 offset 0x1F0-0x1f7 irq 9
atapibus0 at wdc0 channel 0
atapibus0panic: scsipi_dtype: impossible device type
Stopped in swapper at    0xf0112fb0:    ldmdb    r11, {r11, r13 ,r15}
db> console_kbd = 0

at which point I seem only to be able to restart the machine by hitting the
reset switch.

This is an intermittant fault though, and when I do boot OK, I can see my
cdrom (which is the only device on the motherboard ide) and all four hard
disks..... It seems to be about 50% of the time this happens. IIRC, it has
only happened since I came up to 1.4 from 1.3.
I'd be just as happy to disable the cdrom drive completely (if that is what
is causing this) because there are plenty of cdrom drives on my
sparcstations.....
The cdrom itself is a wearnes cdd-120.

regards,
Justin