Subject: MEMORY_DISK_SERVER working.
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: David McConnell <davem@eastcoast.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 12/17/1999 15:48:43
Hi There

Thanks to all who helped.

I now have "md's" working. There was a "control" node for the "md" devices
missing from /dev. (As I was suspecting and was pointed out by Izumi.)

Somebody should perhaps correct this?

Now that I have both md's and mfs working properly, which should I choose
for runtime ramdisk mounting.

The md.h source refers to mfs as a "hack" but mfs seems to work fine. Some
of the advantages I perceived to using mfs have turned out to be not so,
e.g. leaving MFS out of the kernel only reduces its size by a few hundred
bytes and whichever way I go I need the newfs (or mount_mfs) utility so I
see no obvious advantage/disadvantages to distinguish the 2 approaches.

So, is there any compelling reason to use one rather than the other? (For
the moment I'm using mfs's).

Cheers