Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.3-ALPHA to 1.4.1
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/05/1999 13:14:55
On Fri 05 Nov, Marc Theisen wrote:
> The README-File says that upgrading is not yet supported for the arm32-port.
> Is it maybe possible to just overwrite the existing files
> (except for /etc) with the new one's available via ftp?

That's worked fine for me. The procedure I use (on a CATS which is a bigger
change due to the move to wscons) is to put the new kernel in as /netbsd,
copy /etc/ttys and /dev/MAKEDEV across. Then cd /dev and ./MAKEDEV all.
You can probably get away with only copying the kernel across with a RPC.

Reboot single user. Mount the filesystems and untar all the installation
sets (excluding etc.tar.gz as you rightly say).

Only problem is that some ethernet cards no longer work (EtherB namely, plus
I suspect the EtherIII and EtherI will also be affected). See PR-8527
and some earlier PRs from around June-time.

--
Dr. Stephen Borrill