Subject: Re: mounting ADFS ?!:.
To: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 11/03/1999 18:25:28
> The reason that c works is that the filecore partition is at the front
> of the disk.  As filecore is a read only file system, this is OK.  You
> should really create a partition for the filecore partition (you need
> to do this if you have more than one filecore partition) in the
> disklabel, and then use that for mounting.

Hmm, sounds sensible.  Is there a way of extracting the correct geometry
information of the ADFS partitions, or do you have to just "know" them?
Something equivalent to mbrlabel?

>  Can you have more than 8
> partitions in the disklabel these days?

I've no idea, but the disk-label editor would only go up to 8 last time I
tried.

> > I seem to remember that when the ADFS code was added, that it didn't
> > support the ADFS 'Floppy' formats (only the Hard Disk formats).  If this
> > has changed (or if I'm wrong) then someone please correct me.
>
> The filesystem should work fine, it is the floppy driver that doesn't
> work, as it expects 512 byte sectors, and ADFS floppies have 1024 byte
> sectors.

But the net result is that you can't read ADFS floppies at this time,
correct?

Thanks for the clarifications, anyway.

Richard.