Subject: Re: Imago?
To: Stephen Crocker <crok@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
From: Tony Beaumont <triffid@argonet.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 10/25/1999 19:42:24
On 24 Oct, Stephen Crocker <crok@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Since many people are hoping to replace their RiscPC motherboards with Imago
> next year (myself included), I trust that someone is working on a kernel for
> it.  Also, what is happening about machines like the Mico and RS7500?

There's a fairly up-to-date assessment of the situation in the latest
issue of "Archive" which arrived on Saturday. As I understand it, the Mico
and 7500 are here, and the first versions of the RiscPC are virtually
here, but not the one that uses PCI which is still coming 'soon'. The
Imago board is also in the 'soon' category. There may be later news at the
RiscOS 99 show at Epsom this coming weekend.

The one I would need right now is the Peanut portable, which has gone
ominously quiet, despite the fact they were flashing a prototype around 18
months ago. Meanwhile we are still using the A4 and will have to go on
doing so - and making sure that whatever we do in RO4 on our desktop
machines is capable of being worked on with the A4 also.

Which will hold us back technically, and in the long run may be what
forces us off the RiscOS platform if Peanut (or some other updated
portable) does not materialise in the reasonably near future.

Tony