Subject: (SORRY)SCSI Adaptec aha2940UW and Seagate st19171w causes freeze
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: David McConnell <davem@eastcoast.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 09/15/1999 17:11:52
Sorry, my previous mail was in HTML. I'm not using my normal mail package
and Microsoft seems to think they know what is good for us (i.e. defaulting
to HTML).
Hopefully this one is in good old text format. Sorry also about the double
posting.....

Hello

I'm using Netbsd 1.4 on an ebsa285 SA110 boardusing NFS drive as a root
device.

I added a Seagate st19171W (Wide) SCSI drive and AHA2940UW (PCI) controller
on a PCI backplane.

Support for these devices is configuerd into the kernel.

The system boots ok off NFS and sees the the Adaptec device on the PCI, sees
the SCSI bus and sees the st19171 OK (reports what look like correct drive
parameters etc...). The drive becomes sd0.

Trouble starts when I try something like

disklabel /dev/rsd0 or disklabel /dev/sd0

Then the red LED comes on the Adaptec, the green LED comes on on the drive
and the system freezes unrecoverably (power down required).

The drive has been partitioned and has file system on it. This was all set
up using Netbsd 1.4. on an intel 586 box. There everything seems to work
fine. sd0 partitions can be mounted, files copied etc...no problem.

Any ideas why the problem with the ebsa285 SA110 board?

Thanks
David