Subject: Re: Shark, 2nd ether?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/12/1999 15:20:44
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> Chris (cgd) was mumbling about an AMD part (79c978?) but it has only an
> onboard 10baseT PHY.  How about the Macronix or LiteOn tulip-alikes, the
> TI ThunderLAN, or even (shudder, copy-after-receive, but...) the VIA?
I've played with the am79971 recently as well as the sis900. The sis has a
built in 10/100 PHY so no external PHY is necessary and now the initial
driver problems are sorted it it works quite well.

Ideally you want a controller that can DMA to and from unaligned addresses
so that you don't need to do any packet buffer copying i.e. use a 2 byte
boundry so that the IP packet is word aligned. What are the tulip clones
like for that ? The DEC tulip ones need TULIP_COPY_RXDATA defined due to
recieve DMA alignment constraints.

I've never had good experiences with the thunderlan (maybe NetBSD just
does not like the cards we have here).

Cheers,
				Mark