Subject: Re: Qt-lib on NetBSD/arm32
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/09/1999 11:17:06
Hi,

First of all thanks to those who replied. I understand it is possible
to build Qt-lib, so maybe it is my system (setup), which is causing
troubles.

Mike Pumford writes:

 > > I have finally completed the compilation (it took almost a day),
 > >
 > It is kind of slow isn't it. :-)

Yes, especially compared to my Linux-system which completed the
compilation in <30 minutes (IIRC).

 > > ld: moc_wizard.o: RRS text relocation at 0x5184 for "__vt$10QDropEvent"
 > >
 > I think these are harmless. Newer versions of the linker have the warning
 > disabled IIRC.

I know, the linker messages was posted to show the context of the
'real' error message.

 > > cd xform; make
 > > /usr/local/qt/bin/moc xform.cpp -o xform.moc
 > > pure virtual method called
 > > *** Error code 255
 > >
 > > Stop.
 > > *** Error code 1
 > >
 > > Stop.
 > > *** Error code 1
 > >
 > > Stop.
 > >
 > This is not good something has got seriously scrambled here.
 >
 > Is this an SA system. Paranoia suggests that you might be running into the SA
 > bug but I have a 'buggy' SA and I didn't have problems with the 1.3 ALPHA
 > snapshot in fact using the 1.3 ALPHA compiler sets with my system was the only
 > way to get current to build at the time.

Yes, I do have a buggy StrongArm, but I never had any compilation
troubles under v1.3a before. I remember I first experienced problems
with gcc after upgrading to v1.3.2, so I downgraded again. Later I
tried an upgrade to v1.4(something). I downgraded again, but maybe
I still have some 'debris' left?

Is it possible to set some compiler options to avoid the SA bug?

 > Can you remember how they failed. I had Cryptozilla and xemacs 20 both
 > working in 1.4. In fact they still work fine on my 1.4I NetBSD-current
 > system compiled a few days ago. The only problem I would anticipate is shared
 > library issues which should be avoided by extracting the 1.4 sets over the top
 > of 1.3 ALPHA or a copy of it.

Netscape ran but did not redraw anything in the windows, i.e. it
showed only an empty window. From my ealier postings (in June) I
conclude that xemacs-19.15 aborted and xemacs-20.3 ran. AFAIR the
only thing that did not work in v20.3 was the most need'ed, the
GNU news subsystem. I do not recall the exact error, but I believe
it had something to do with not enough virtual memory.

 > If you
 > have the time to try the upgrade again and have problems with XEmacs or
 > Mozilla let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Thanks, I will see if I can find time for another try.

 > I've just set qt 2 building here I'll let you know how it goes.

That sounds good.

Best regards
   Ib-Michael
--
Ib-Michael Martinsen		Email at work: imm.it@dsg.dk
Fidomail:      2:234/181.9	Email at home: imm@nethotel.dk

Running NetBSD/arm32 v1.3alfa on an Acorn RiscPC with a 202MHz StrongArm.