Subject: Re: Qt-lib on NetBSD/arm32
To: Ib-Michael Martinsen <imm@nethotel.dk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 08/09/1999 00:46:46

> I have finally completed the compilation (it took almost a day),
> but all the example-programs abort with segmentation faults.

It is kind of slow isn't it. :-)
> During the compilation I also sometimes got an error, for instance
> when making the wizard-example, the last part of the compilation
> looks like:
>
> ld: moc_wizard.o: RRS text relocation at 0x5124 for "__vt$10QDropEvent"
> ld: moc_wizard.o: RRS text relocation at 0x5180 for "__vt$10QDropEvent$11QMimeSource"
> ld: moc_wizard.o: RRS text relocation at 0x5184 for "__vt$10QDropEvent"

I think these are harmless. Newer versions of the linker have the warning
disabled IIRC.

> cd xform; make
> /usr/local/qt/bin/moc xform.cpp -o xform.moc
> pure virtual method called
> *** Error code 255
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

This is not good something has got seriously scrambled here.

Is this an SA system. Paranoia suggests that you might be running into the SA
bug but I have a 'buggy' SA and I didn't have problems with the 1.3 ALPHA
snapshot in fact using the 1.3 ALPHA compiler sets with my system was the only
way to get current to build at the time.

> I did the compiling with the following commands
>
> ./configure (which sets the target to netbsd-g++-shared)
> make
>
> I am using NetBSD v1.3alfa and g++ v2.7.2.2+myc1. At the moment
> I am not very inclined to upgrade NetBSD to a newer version.
> Last time I upgraded to v1.4 I found out that neither Netscape/Mozilla
> nor xemacs v20.3 worked leaving me without any usable connection
> to the internet.

Can you remember how they failed. I had Cryptozilla and xemacs 20 both
working in 1.4. In fact they still work fine on my 1.4I NetBSD-current
system compiled a few days ago. The only problem I would anticipate is shared
library issues which should be avoided by extracting the 1.4 sets over the top
of 1.3 ALPHA or a copy of it.

Given that NetBSD 1.4 uses the same version of egcs as Red Hat Linux 5.2 I
would expect an easier time compiling with a more up to date system. If you
have the time to try the upgrade again and have problems with XEmacs or
Mozilla let me know and I'll do my best to help.

I've just set qt 2 building here I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike