Subject: Re: VGA on the ARM
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: John Lindley <john@bits.bris.ac.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/23/1999 00:42:35
On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Bruce Martin wrote:

> Has anybody out there implemented VGA on an ARM device (pref.
> StrongARM110) The main problem is that VGA cards nderstand x86, not ARM,
> and I need some pointers on how to get an ARM to communicate with an x86
> card.
>
> Thanks
>   Bruce Martin

As far as I am aware it can't be done. Simtec, who make the EBSA board,
have only managed to do it be including a sa hardware x86 emulator on
board to do the preliminary negotiation with the graphics card. Once it's
booted the card then communicates with the arm driver

| www : www.BITS.bris.ac.uk/~john |  emo : john@BITS.bris.ac.uk	   |
|     ...Doh said Pooh, suffering from an identity crisis          |