Subject: Shark flashing (oops!)
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Ridder <hans.ridder@veritas.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/11/1999 17:02:05
Hello all,

I think I just blew away the brains in a Shark. I got the new firmware
from Chris D. and before I knew what I was doing I typed "net-flash" and
it loaded and flashed the netbsd kernel. I guess it asked my dhcp server
what to load and was told to load the kernel. A brief look at the
net-flash command suggested it was going to ask for a rom image file,
but apparently my Forth understanding needs work.

Anyway, I'm posting to help other avoid the same mistake, and in the
hope that someone knows of a way to fix this. My fear is that it has to
be done with a JTAG probe, or similar specialized hardware that only the
"factory" has. But my hope is that there is a "fail safe" flash loader
built in there that I can somehow access (serial port?)

Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to see a nice box like this be
relegated to the trash heap because of stupid mistake.

-hans