Subject: Re: NetBSD v1.4 troubles
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/09/1999 01:59:12
On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 10:30:27PM +0100, Chris Cowdery wrote:
> > 1) I could only get X11 to work, if I did not install the X11fonts.
> > When I tried to start X11 using xinit, I got the following errors
> > (with X11fonts installed):
>
> Try the new Xarm33vidc X server. It works OK for me, and also uses
> the standard fonts I believe. Unfortunately it doesn't support
> console switching though. Xarm33 does work though with the correct
> fonts installed. I forget which way around it is, but one of the
> font sets are .tar.Z and the others are .tar.gz. You need the
> opposite one to everyone else to use Xarm33. Mark did say where
> the right one was on a recent mailing as I recall.
*.Z for Xarm33 and *.gz for every server in the NetBSD's X(free86)
source tree (i.e. xvidc).

But IIRC Xarm33 needed a db version of the file rgb.txt as well
and there are some other differences to Xfree86. (E.g. /usr/X11
instead of /usr/X11R6, that's why many RISC PC users have a
symlink X11->X11R6 )

Go xvidc. It's much better anyway.
(You need NetBSD 1.4 to run it.)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.