Subject: Re: Installing 1.4
To: Kjetil B. Thomassen <kjetil@thomassen.priv.no>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/08/1999 15:52:03
> > The really slow discs are on an Acorn SCSI card; performance on that
> > sucks, which is why it takes so long to check them.
>
> With 1.2 it used to be 170 KB/s on my ARM610 and AKA-32.

Arrgh, another variant of that card!  I've got both an AKA-30 and an
AKA-31, but I hadn't realised there was a -32 as well.  How many more are
there?  Are there any driver differences or are they just revs of the
layout...?

> > 2) I heard about 2 years back that there was some work on making the Acorn
> > SCSI card use dma to and from it's buffer memory.  Does anyone know what
> > happened to that work?  If it got completely lost, does anyone have the
> > programming info for those boards?  I might be able to find time to look
> > at improving this driver (I don't have any critical data on those disks at
> > this time, so I can do some testing without fear :-).
>
> I don't think there was ever released a technical manual for this
> card, but I do have the data sheet for the Am33C93 SCSI chip somewhere,
> and I do have the original manual that accompanied the card.

An Am33C93 data sheet would be useful, but most of that info can be
gleaned from the existing code.  What's missing is the info on the DMA
chip that Acorn put on the board (Sorry, the card's at home so I can't
check what it is).  There's also some buffer memory on the board (4k I
think), so I'd also need info on how/where that was mapped.

R.