Subject: Vidc audio sound driver.
To: 'Netbsd Arm32' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Gilbert, Christopher <GilbeC@tetraworld.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/07/1999 09:35:53
Hi,

A while back someone asked if this was ever going to work, I replied saying
I once did some work on getting a working driver for it, but had lost it.  I
actually found it over the weekend :)

If anyone is interested in getting it working the src file for it is
available from:
http://www.buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk/
(this might change as that page just has a link to the file)  Oh and I
called the file by the wrong name! (should be vidcaudio.c not vidcaudi.c,
was on a DOS floppy ;)

Things to note:
The file is so old that it's pre UVM, so might need some changes to how it
grabs memory. So that'll need changing.

I think you need to add a bit of code to the beep device so that it calls
vidcaudio_beep_generate.  I think I put an #ifdef in to see if the number of
vidc devices is > 0.

It'll create lots of spam when outputting sound (unless you turn off the
#define DEBUG in the file itself...)

AFAIR you need to use some combination of cmds including audioctl, I think
audioctl includes the relevant bits.

You'll need to alter the files that vidcaudio includes in a kernel to
include the files with the conversion routines (I forgotten the names)

It did used to work, although this was last year sometime, as you can see
it's based on a version of the file from jan 98!  I would personally like to
get it working again, but lack a NetBSD installation (of anytype)

Known probs.
Can't have an active beep device as it grabs the sound DMA irq, however you
do need to include the beep device or the kernel complains that
beep_generate isn't found.

The vidcaudio_beep_generate doesn't actually make a beep I never got around
to sorting out away of queueing the stuff up (and lack of a 16 bit beep)

Anyway I'll offer advice to anyone that needs any help with it.

Cheers,
Chris

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Chris Gilbert <gilbec@tetraworld.com>
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_         Technical Integration Group
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'         Systems Development Team
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)                 SAGE Tetra Limited

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and may not represent those of the company.

This e-mail is subject to copyright and the information in it is confidential. It is intended only for the named recipient. You are advised not to disclose the contents of this e-mail to another pers
on or take copies of it.