Subject: Re: RiscPC & Xserver testing
To: None <mark@causality.com>
From: Timothy Coltman <tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 06/06/1999 13:18:03
On Sat 05 Jun, Mark Brinicombe wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Timothy Coltman wrote:
> > Where do you get the source for setdisplay from? I've had a browse=20
through
> > the 'src' directory of NetBSD-current and I can't find it anywhere. Any
> > ideas? What'll happen if I try and use the old Xarm-33 version of=20
setdisplay?
>=20
> They live on the NetBSD ftp site.
>=20
> ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/misc/misc-src-riscpc.tar.gz
>=20
> The tar file contains sources to a few utils for the RiscPC and A7000
>=20
> Cheers,
> =09=09=09=09Mark
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
Yes... I found that and it works very nicely. A much better server!
Well done.

However, there does seem to be a bug of some sort in the keyboard
handling code. Some of the keys produce the wrong characters when you
press them. The set up seems to be geared towards a US keyboard
(almost). The following is wrong:

# (hash) produces \ (backslash)
~ (tidle) produces | (vertical bar)
| (vertical bar) produces > (more than)
\ (backslash) produces < (less than)
=AC (funny line) produces ~ (tilde)
=A3 (pound sterling) produces # (hash)
" (double quote) produces @ (at)
@ (at) produces " (double quote)

And the UK pound sign can't be reproduced at all!

Is there a command to fix this? The setkbd program which I just compiled
seems to only be used for setting autorepeat rates. IMHO this bug
makes X difficult to use as you have to keep remembering to press
\ instead of > and so on.

My set up for reproducing this bug was a fresh 1.4 installation with
Xvidc-1 as my X server, using twm. And xterm.

Cheers,
tim
--=20
tim@auroral.freeserve.co.uk