Subject: Re: Odd IDE things
To: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/29/1999 14:21:24
On Sat, 29 May 1999, David Forbes wrote:

: Yesterday, I bought a Memorex CD-RW drive and put it in my CATS box.  I
: have my HD as primary master, a CD-ROM drive a secondary master and the
: CD-RW as secondary slave.

Hm.  A CD-ROM driving a CD-RW may not be such a good idea.  You're likely to
be better off using the CD-RW as secondary master and CD-ROM as primary
slave.

: The HD activity light comes on and stays on, for no apparent reason now.

By `HD activity light' do you mean one on the case or a light attached to
the HD itself?  (Or both?)

: wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <Maxtor 91020D6>

As a forewarning, if you choose to configure similarly to my suggestion
above, do NOT make a CD-RW a slave of a Maxtor IDE HD.  There's all kinds of
incompatibility problems thanks to some nonconformant stuff that Maxtor HDs
do....