Subject: Odd IDE things
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: David Forbes <david@flossy.u-net.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/29/1999 10:42:49
Yesterday, I bought a Memorex CD-RW drive and put it in my CATS box.  I
have my HD as primary master, a CD-ROM drive a secondary master and the
CD-RW as secondary slave.

The HD activity light comes on and stays on, for no apparent reason now.
Also, whilst there is a disk in the Memorex drive, it's activity light
comes on and stays on (this is contrary to the instructions).

Everything else seems to be functioning okay (the drives work fine).
Obviously, I'd rather the lights didn't behave like this - it makes me
suspect that something is amiss.  Has anyone seen this before?  Is it just
I haven't pushed the cables in right, or do I have to fiddle with the
kernel config file and set some flags, or something?

Thanks,

David.

PS - Relevant dmesg excerpt:

pciide0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller
pciide0: bus-master DMA support present
pciide0: primary channel configured to compatibility mode
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <Maxtor 91020D6>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 9728MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 19923120 sectors
wd0: 32-bits data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2
pciide0: secondary channel configured to compatibility mode
atapibus0 at pciide0 channel 1
cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0: <MATSHITA CR-588, , LS13> type 5 cdrom removable
cd0: 32-bits data port
cd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
cd1 at atapibus0 drive 1: <CRW-1622, , 1.5A> type 5 cdrom removable
cd1: 32-bits data port
cd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (using DMA data
transfers)
cd0(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
cd1(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)