Subject: Re: Installing 1.4
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/28/1999 11:17:26

> Hmmm. I was told to have "/" , "/usr", "/var" and "/tmp" on different
> partitions so you could mount the big ones read-only when trying; as far
> as I know, netbsd boots ok with all mounts read-only exept /tmp and /var;
> since they are rel. small (64 + 128 M in my case). Checking them is very
> fast. So you could think of expirimenting with your dev. code in
> /var/whatever and syncing before you try to crash it :-)

The really slow discs are on an Acorn SCSI card; performance on that
sucks, which is why it takes so long to check them.

This brings up two questions:

1) Amd can be used to mount local discs (type:=ufs;dev:=/dev/...). Does
anyone know how to make amd do mounts of this type directly on a root
directory (so that I could make the slow disks demand-mounted)?  Ie, what
I want to achieve is the equivalent of the fstab entry:

	/dev/wd0f       /work   ffs     rw              1 2

2) I heard about 2 years back that there was some work on making the Acorn
SCSI card use dma to and from it's buffer memory.  Does anyone know what
happened to that work?  If it got completely lost, does anyone have the
programming info for those boards?  I might be able to find time to look
at improving this driver (I don't have any critical data on those disks at
this time, so I can do some testing without fear :-).