Subject: Re: Installing 1.4 (fwd)
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/28/1999 02:39:37
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:20:59 +0100
From: Andrew McMurry <a.mcmurry1@physics.oxford.ac.uk>
To: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
Subject: Re: Installing 1.4

> > 3) What is the easiest way to connect to a dial up ISP?  I've configured
> > a resolver and inetd but how do I communicate with the modem and start a
> > PPP session?  I'm not too bothered about mail and news yet I just want
> > to be able to FTP stuff from the NetBSD ftp site directly without
> > rebooting all the time.
>
> Before DSL I used to use a ppp dialup invoking pppd with something like

[stuff deleted]

> This has come up before and I beleive others have suggested ways or posted
> example scripts.

The Linux PPP Howto is a useful document for help with setting up
pppd, although you should ignore (or translate to NetBSD equivalents)
the Linux specific, rather than pppd specific bits.

I am having problems with pppd and NetBSD1.4/arm32.  Has anyone got
pppd working with this version of NetBSD?  I can get pppd to dial in
to my Univeristy dial-in line and connect successfully.  At that point
the kernel networking code hangs, and no net software (ping, telnet,
ssh..., even over the ethernet card) will make a successful connection
until I kill the pppd, at which point I can use ping, telnet etc over
the ethernet again.  If the recent patch to the NetBSD1.4 kernel net
system does not fix this problem, I will submit a PR about it.

	Andrew