Subject: Re: shocking speed performance!
To: None <kim@pvv.ntnu.no>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1999 11:11:58
kim@pvv.ntnu.no writes:
> The whole point of a open software development project is to have
> compilable source available. Sadly, it wasn't for many years.
> Other people have complained about this too, but like everything
> else here, it is soon forgotten, but not by me.

Yes, and the people how had any kind of responsiblity for 'the NetBSD
project' spent a fair bit of time over the years beating on the arm32
folks to get the right thing done.  (I know, I was one of them.)

Yes, it took longer than it should have.  Yes, that's unfortunate.
Thankfully, it's no longer a problem.

However, _you as an ARM hacker_ were in a much better position to help
solve the problem than most of the people concerned.  What could "The
NetBSD Project," or "core" do but say "please do this?"  You as an ARM
hacker _could have helped solved the problem_, by providing code that
did the right thing, and contacting people -- perhaps other than the
port maintainer, if the right thing wasn't happening there -- to make
sure it got in the tree.

As far as I can figure, there's nothing you can say to that.  You
can't say you didn't care/have time, because you're still flaming
about it here now, and because NetBSD has always been a "user
supported system."  In some sense, if you don't provide some of the
"user support," you still have a right to bitch or flame, but
certainly not to the extent that you've been going at it.

If at some point, you decide to become part of a solution to a
problem, I for one would welcome your input.

cgd