Subject: Re: SHARK setup cookbook?
To: None <allan@mnhep.hep.umn.edu>
From: David G. Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/21/1999 10:52:37
We run a DNARD cluster here booting off of a single FreeBSD system.
We've configured them to share all of their filesystems, but have
unique swap (it's far easier to maintain that way).  We stuff their
/var/run and /tmp filesystems on a swap-backed MFS.  I've also got
some perl scripts which extract the hardware ID from the serial port
and stuff them in a file, then create the bottom part of the DHCP
configuration from that file.

While I do have the machines set up to have persistent IP addresses,
they have little per-machine permanent state; our setup is not
designed to allow the dnards much of a unique persona outside of the
cluster.  If any of this will help your situation, let me know - I'm
happy to ship it on to you.  I have a little "howto" message I sent to
one of our collaborators for setting up the DEC NetBSD 1.3-shark
system, and _most_ of it applies to 1.4, but there've been some
changes (you can't set the swap partition via DHCP, for instance).

  -Dave

--
work: danderse@cs.utah.edu                     me:  angio@pobox.com
      University of Utah                            http://www.angio.net/