Subject: Re: shocking speed performance!
To: None <richard.earnshaw@arm.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/20/1999 09:40:14
On Thu, 20 May 1999, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

: Well, yes.  But I was in this case referring to the official egcs
: distributions from egcs.cygnus.com, not the tree in the NetBSD area.  At
: this level this becomes important because the Makefiles in the official
: distribution aren't used by the NetBSD build system.  I'm not sure what
: magic runes you should cast to build the standard NetBSD compiler in this
: way.

Well, if you specify CC="cc -march=armv3m -mtune=strongarm" in mk.conf, you
can rebuild the NetBSD tree with those options, but you're right that the
NetBSD source tree offers no way to change the default (and I think that
should be rather deliberate).

As to performance, well, I've always thought that significant tunings should
be available for the base OS distributions on some ports (m68k - mc68040,
mc68060; arm32 - strongarm; sparc - v8; alpha - BWX; i386 - 486, 586).
That is, of course, assuming that the compiler still tunes for compatibility
by default.