Subject: shocking speed performance!
To: 'port-arm32@netbsd.org' <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Martin <BruceM@cat.co.za>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/19/1999 14:19:37

------ =_NextPart_001_01BEA210.539B5550

Hi All

We've just written a jpeg compression algorithm that takes a
raw (RGB) image file and converts it to a jpeg. When we run
this on a Pentium II, it takes 103ms, on a Pentium120 S it
takes 340 ms, and on the EBSA-285 board with a Strongarm
233MHz, it takes 650ms!

Can anyone explain to me why the Strongarm takes so much
longer than the Pentium to run this code? Surely it should
run in the same range, if not faster. By the way, the
Pentium II 266 version was only compiled with the -m486
option, so no special PII optimization was used...

Are there any special optimization options available for the
StrongARM processor?

Thanks
  Bruce

------ =_NextPart_001_01BEA210.539B5550

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>shocking speed performance!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi All</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We've just written a jpeg compression algorithm that =
takes a raw (RGB) image file and converts it to a jpeg. When we run =
this on a Pentium II, it takes 103ms, on a Pentium120 S it takes 340 =
ms, and on the EBSA-285 board with a Strongarm 233MHz, it takes =
650ms!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Can anyone explain to me why the Strongarm takes so =
much longer than the Pentium to run this code? Surely it should run in =
the same range, if not faster. By the way, the Pentium II 266 version =
was only compiled with the -m486 option, so no special PII optimization =
was used...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Are there any special optimization options available =
for the StrongARM processor?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; Bruce</FONT>