Subject: Re: ifconfig & media
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/18/1999 09:18:37
Chris Cowdery wrote:

> I'm still trying to get my Etherlan 600 card to work on my RiscPC
> with the 1.4 release.
>
> To recap:
> The card probes OK.
> Pinging itself (10.0.0.2) works OK.
> It can't ping anything else on the network, yet RiscOS can, suggesting
> that the card is OK.

In order to make the card work in BSD you need to ifconfig the card in
RISC OS before booting BSD. This is because the driver does not do
something required to enable interrupts for the card. The ifconfig in
RISC OS makes sure this initialisation happens.

> Someone suggested that it might have the wrong media selected, so
> I've tried to set it, but nomatter what I try, e.g.
> ifconfig ne0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xffffff00 media BNC
> I get the following error:
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

Well thats because there is no media support in the 1.4 driver I do have
some patches for that but need to fix a bug with 10baseT selection
before submitting them for inclusion.

> Is there a way to find out what media is currently selected?
> How can I find out what the various options are, as man ifmedia
> points to the driver documentation, which I don't think I have?

At boot the driver prints the interface it is using.

Mike