Subject: Installing 1.4 and Connect32
To: None <port-arm32@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Kaletsch <kaletsch@Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/16/1999 22:30:01
Hello!

I just downloaded the RiscBSD Kernel 1.4 and the essential binarys and for
some hours have been trying to install the system.

I hoped that it was possible to mount one of my SCSI-Drives (Quantum Fireball
HD, Syquest EZ135 on Connect 32 SCSI 2 Hardwar 1.01 Software 0.22) during
installation and install the binarys from there. The BSD-partition shall be
on my IDE HD (on motherboard controller).

All that is happening on an SA-RPC with 24 MB RAM and 2 MB VRAM.

I booted into the install kernel okay, but then it is not possible to
mount_filecore my SCSI drives. Everytime I try, the computer just freezes.
The same happens when I try to mount my SCSI CD-ROM.
Trying to get at the RISCOS partition on the IDE results in a "disk has no
label".
The only thing I could mount was a DOS floppy (very helpfull), a ADFS floppy
resulted in a "hard error".

Great! Trying blindly to run the installprog (shoot HD first, ask questions
afterwards) just gets to the point where it tells me that it will do nasty
things to my HD, and after saying "yes, continue" it only says that wd0 has
no label and then freezes!

The problem seems to be the SCSI controler, but what can I do there?

Is this way of installation possible at all?

I have no experience with BSD, but managed to get Linux running on this
machine, so feel free to point out obvious errors.

* Martin Kaletsch                     *     This mail was written on an     *
* kaletsch@stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de ***************************************
* Kaletsch@mathematik.uni-marburg.de  *       pgp-key available             *
We will say, then, that I am mad