Subject: Re: Packages & KDE
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/14/1999 14:36:29
On Fri, 14 May 1999, Chris Cowdery wrote:

: I've just upgraded to 1.4 on my RiscPC, and barring the rgb.db and
: fonts issue (might be worth putting the .Z fonts in a set somewhere),

This probably is not likely to be resolved until Mark is finished withthe
XF86-based ARM X server.  (As of now, the Xarm33 server requires COMPAT_13
in order to work fully, as it's a 1.3 binary.  :)

: I thought then I might use the packages system to install KDE and
: mozilla. So I've downloaded all the packages, but now it seems that
: I need the complete source too? Is that right?, if so, it's a long
: time on a 33.6modem?. Also, if you do need the source, why use the
: packages system at all, why not just build it from source? Why can't
: I just install precompiled binaries?

Probably because mozilla is having some problems on arm32, and the person
who compiled many of the precompiled binaries for arm32 explicitly excluded
it for that reason.  sigh.

You can install precompiled binaries if they are available for the package
in question.  Either browse the packages list on www.netbsd.org or use your
FTP client to look through the binary tree at
ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/packages/binaries/1.4/