Subject: Re: Shark IDE drive troubles.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-arm32
Date: 05/09/1999 11:50:58
On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 12:02:40AM -0700, Brian D Chase wrote:
> Okay, here's one that's a bit of a problem.  I've got a 4.5GB IBM 2.5in
> laptop drive that I'm trying to setup in my Shark.  It doesn't seem to be
> too happy.  I'm using the 1.4_BETA netbsd_netboot.SHARK kernel.  The
> kernel reports the disk with an unreasonable number of sectors/track and
> tracks/cylinder.
Hmmm.
This may happen if the disk hasn't spun up with the hardware start,
Most IBM drives have a jumper to control auto spin-up. If you don't
have the jumper specs for your drive, search storage.ibm.com

>   pez# disklabel -r wd0
>   disklabel: no disk label
>
>   pez# disklabel -w -f /etc/disktab.IBM-ide wd0 IBM-ide
>   disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
>   use "disklabel -r" to install initial label
try:
disklabel /dev/wd0 > tempfile
(edit tempfile, correct size etc.)
disklabel -R -r /dev/wd0 tempfile
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.