Subject: Re: link.h
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/26/1999 12:12:35
On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Erik E. Fair wrote:

: I spent today doing make builds on one of my 32MB Sharks that's netbooted
: on a -current (compiled yesterday with gcc 2.7.x) kernel. I started from
: the Xmas Eve '98 static world snapshot that Todd provided. It's been
: utterly stable, so far; no strange compiler deaths.

Uh ... you did get as.working, right?  The assembler in Todd (W)'s
static snapshot cannot produce shared libraries.

(OK, I'm going to get off my ass now and kill the static snapshot and yank
/usr/bin/as from the October snapshot.  <sigh>)

: Q: is wscons not ready for prime-time on the Shark?

AFAIK, wscons is not on the Shark, period.

: bind8 triggered a compiler bug, so I've built and installed egcs, along
: with lex, yacc, and other necessary build tools. bind8's named also
: complained about multiply defined symbols; I seem to recall someone
: suggesting that bind4 be used until shared library support is fixed again.

Shared library support has been fixed for some time; just no snapshot has
been built with it.  See
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/arm32/as.working; it needs the shlibs
from the October snapshot and replaces /usr/bin/as.