Subject: Re: /etc/exports file
To: M.E.Clinch <mec@chigwell.demon.co.uk>
From: Paul Wain <pwain@nc.com>
List: port-arm32
Date: 02/10/1999 10:24:56
Umm, off hand I think you are getting hit by a small "feature" in
/etc/exports. You can only export a whole device.

e.g. say I have wd0e mounted on /home on the server. You can export
"/home" but not "/home/paul". However if you want to be able to mount
"/home/paul" directly on the client look into the "-alldirs" flag in the
exports(5) manpage. So my /etc/exports file looks like:

    /home -maproot=root -alldirs 172.17.8.31 192.168.25.4

(not -maproot=root is not a good idea on a non-trusted network, hence
why Ive limited it to two machines that can access the mount point -
both machines that I control and thus machines I know who root is. You
will probably want to either not have maproot or have it set to "nobody"
for safety).

Paul